Thursday, February 25, 2021

Fly Shops

 


When I lived in Englewood, Colorado many years ago (1980-1991), I was fortunate enough to have multiple fly shops within a 20 mile radius. I made friends at most fly shops and also spent a fair share of my paychecks on furs and feathers, much to the shop owners delight. My "local" fly shop was Royal Stevens followed by Anglers All and Trout Fisher.

After moving back to my native Connecticut in 1992, I was less fortunate to have local fly shops at my disposal to spend my paychecks on fly tying/fishing supplies. There wasn't the internet as we have it today. From what I remember there was Dave Goulet's "Classic & Custom" fly shop in the New Hartford, CT area near the Farmington River and an Orvis shop down in the Darien, CT area.

So lets fast forward to today (2021) and you see a collection above of fly shops I frequent either online or in person. The one fly shop within driving distance (about 70 miles) is Bear's Den in Taunton, Massachusetts. It has everything I need for tying supplies but not every fly tying material. 
I do frequent JStockard online store more than I should.

That's why its a good idea to have a list of fly tying supply house on hand for those items you may not find in your "local" brick and mortar or virtual shop. There isn't a "Mother of all fly shops" so its beneficial to have a collection of shops that you are comfortable with and trust.

If they have one, be sure to sign up for the shops newsletter/email notices for their discounts on fly tying/fishing gear.

Please support your local brick & mortar fly shop in your area.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: