Sunday, March 6, 2011

Workshop - Tippet Tamers

Here's a cheap and easy way of controlling that tippet from unreeling off of the spool


These are the tippet tamers that I bought in a shop for about 5-6 bucks. 

How to make your own


Material list

1/8" wide stretch elastic
Super Glue
Plastic Beads 
Heat Shrink Tubing
Lighter


Cut a piece of stretch elastic to about 6 inches


Adhere the plastic bead to the elastic using the super glue


Slip on a short piece of heat shrink tubing and shrink it down with the lighter


Pass the tippet from the spool into the bead and put the tippet tamer onto the spool. 
No more unspooled tippet


Apply the same process for your thread and wire spools.



Thanks for reading.

6 comments:

Brk Trt said...

Great idea
Thanks

Lou DiGena said...

Great tip!!! I use tippet tamers for may wire spools. Now I can make than for any spool.

Thanks.

Mark Kautz said...

Hi Normand. Bought a few packages of these in different sizes because I had tippet all over the place. They work well. I also use them on my spools of leader material. Can't have too many.

Mark

Jay said...

Nifty idea.

cyclebob44 said...

Great idea but where's one find the heat-shrink tubing?

Normand Frechette said...

cyclebob

i got my shrink tubing at wamart in the auto parts section but your local big box hardware store will have it also