Monday, August 9, 2021

Carmichael

 Carmichael-1080.jpg


Carmichael

Hook - Mustad R50-94840, size 12-16
Thread - Brown
Tail - Cree hackle fibers
Body - Dubbed pink rabbit or synthetic fur
Wings - Grizzly hackle tips tied upright and divided
Hackle - Cree

Popular Fly Patterns - Terry Helleckson (page 20)

I haven't seen pink rabbits since I quit drinking and smoking that "weed" in the 1980's 
:D
 so I used pink dyed beaver

I don't really understand the lure of cree hackles. The hackles look pretty on the bird but when its palmered around a hook shank the unique coloration just disappears, at least to my eyes. A well dyed grizzly, brown/grizzly mix or barred ginger would look just as good as cree and the fish (and fly fishermen) wouldn't even know the difference

This is a Metz cree from the 1980's $$ (sorry its the only one I have and I used it in the fly above)



Maybe 2021 $$$ versions of cree hackles are better in coloration if you can find and afford one

No comments: